Hailed as our community’s first line of defense, Edgmont Township Fire Company No. 1 was born. History tells us that a small group of concerned citizens met to discuss its beginnings. World War II held the nation in its grip as our community struggled to purchase the first fire truck in June of 1942. The generosity of Walter Jeffords is legendary as well as the outstanding efforts of Elmer E. Miller Sr. towards the cause. The charter members were men of vision and determination.
After World War II our men, who had already given so much fighting for our country, came home to Edgmont and bolstered our ranks.. Work was begun on the Firehouse in 1946. By 1947 it was completed. On May 13, 1947 our equipment was housed in our new station by Newtown Square and Media Fire Companies. Our first banquet was held in October 1950 in Elmer Miller’s garage.
Our company grew and so did the community. The Athletic Association was organized, Boy and Girl Scout troops were started and Fourth of July Field Days were celebrated. The Women’s Auxiliary was formed and proved to be the invaluable left hand of the Fire Company needed then and still needs today.
Additions and alterations to the building continued over the years as well as the constant equipment up-grading. A fire tax was enacted in 1977 to give the company capital for the purchasing of necessary apparatus. In 1978 the men and women of Station 64 bought a state of the art 1250 GPM Pumper-Tanker.
Donations by grateful citizens and the generosity of the Western Valley Lions Club helped procure a Brush Fire/Medical Assist vehicle. Our volunteers trained to be E.M.T’s and some even became paramedics. Our first line of defense had become a professional and efficient medical rescue unit as well.
In 1993 we celebrated 50 years of service and friendship to the Edgmont Township community.
The turn of the century has brought about change in the world, especially in the areas of emergency services. September 11, 2001 was a day that literally changed how we think and react. Our world as we know it became a place where we question more often and are always on guard. This attack changed the role and responsibilities of emergency response and the Fire Service in the USA. Today, additional training, equipment, and responsibilities are required of your local Fire Company as “First Responders” to handle security issues.
Advances in technology have changed the equipment used in the fire service to provide even better protection to you. Items such as Thermal Imaging Cameras, Automated External Defibrillators, and Mobile Data terminals to name a few, have only been affordable through the generous help, support and grants provided by our Local, State, and Federal Governments.
Through the acquisition of a Homeland Security Grant we were able to purchase a new engine, a 2006 Pierce Pumper in the spring of 2006. Then, in July of 2006, after many months of planning we broke ground for the new fire house. In just a little over one year, we moved in to the new station. We began providing emergency services from our new home in September 2007.
As we try to honor our past and all of the people who were there with us along the way we realize that because so many people have helped in so many ways it is easy to unknowingly forget to mention many that deserve recognition from us. We apologize. At the same time we extend our thanks to the community as a whole. Our success is yours.